The polychaete Spirobranchus (formerly Pomatoceros) lamarcki, provides a useful new system in which to study both regeneration and biomineralization. Regeneration of the head appendages of Spirobranchus can be easily induced and occurs relatively rapidly over the course of a few days. Combined with the relatively conservative nature of polychaete gene sequence and content evolution this system should provide us with an informative new, accessible system in which to address comparative aspects of animal regeneration. In the Spirobranchus system this includes biomineralization, since the operculum appendage produces a protective calcified plate (in addition to its calcareous habitation tube).
- Barton-Owen, T.B., Szabó, R., Somorjai, I.M.L. & Ferrier, D.E.K. A revised spiralian homeobox gene classification incorporating new polychaete transcriptomes reveals a diverse TALE class and a divergent Hox gene. Genome Biology & Evolution (2018) 10(9), 2151-2167.
- Szabó, R. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Another biomineralising protostome with an Msp130 gene and conservation of Msp130 gene structure across Bilateria. Evolution and Development (2015) 17:195-197.
- Szabó, R. and Ferrier, D.E.K. The dynamics of alkaline phosphatase activity during operculum regeneration in the polychaete Pomatoceros lamarckii. International Journal of Developmental Biology (2014) 58:635-642.
- Szabó, R., Calder, A.C. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Biomineralisation during operculum regeneration in the polychaete Spirobranchus lamarcki. Marine Biology (2014) 161(11): 2621-2629.
- Szabó, R. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Cell proliferation dynamics in regeneration of the operculum head appendage in the annelid Pomatoceros lamarckii. Journal of Experimental Zoology B (Molecular Development and Evolution) (2014) 322B:257-268.
- Takahashi, T., McDougall, C., Troschianko, J., Chen, W-C., Nagarajan, A.J., Shimeld, S.M. and Ferrier, D.E.K. An EST screen from the annelid Pomatoceros lamarckii reveals patterns of gene loss and gain in animals. BMC Evolutionary Biology (2009) 9:240.
- McDougall, C., Chen, W-C., Shimeld, S.M. and Ferrier, D.E.K. The development of the larval nervous system, musculature and ciliary bands of Pomatoceros lamarckii (Annelida): heterochrony in polychaetes. Frontiers in Zoology (2006) 3, 16.